Your ability to set goals and make plans for their accomplishment is the “master skill” of success. The development of this ability and your making it a lifelong habit will do more to assure high success and achievement in your life than any other skill you can possibly learn.
As with anything, you only own the process of goal setting by learning it and then by applying it over and over for yourself until it becomes automatic, like breathing in and breathing out. Your goal must be to become a continuous goal setter. You must become so clear and focused about what it is you want that every single hour of every day you find yourself doing things that are moving you in the direction of your own choosing.
Here is a remarkable fact. Your intelligence is malleable over about 25 IQ points. That means that you can become smarter and smarter by working on your mental muscles just as you can become stronger and stronger by working on your physical muscles. And with clear, specific goals, that you are working toward every single day, you find yourself acting more and more intelligently in everything you do.
The good news is that you have an automatic, cybernetic, goal-achieving mechanism built into your brain. Human beings are the only creatures on earth that have this particular capacity. You automatically achieve the goals that you have set for yourself, whatever they are. This “success mechanism” works night and day, consciously and unconsciously and both drives you and motivates you toward achieving the things that you have decided that you want. It is almost like a light switch. Once you turn it on, it stays on until you do something to turn it off.
Here are my 6 steps to create YOUR mission statement:
1. Your mission statement is always written in the present tense, as though you have already become the person that you have described.
2. It is always positive rather than negative. And it is always personal.
3. Once you have developed a mission statement like this, you can read it, review it, edit it, and upgrade it regularly. You can add additional qualities to it and more clearly define the qualities you’ve already listed. It becomes your personal credo, your philosophy of life, your statement of beliefs and a guide to your behavior in all your interactions with others.
4. Each day, you can evaluate your behaviors and compare them against the standard that you have set in this statement.
5. Over time, a remarkable thing will happen. As you read and review your personal mission statement, you will find yourself, almost unconsciously, shaping your words and conforming your behaviors so that you are more and more like the ideal person you have defined. People will notice the change in you almost immediately.
6. Over time, you will find that you are actually creating within yourself the kind of character and personality that you most admire in others. You will have become the molder and the shaper of your own personal destiny.
1. First, imagine that one of your customers was going to meet with one of your prospects. What would you want him to say about you? How could you behave with your customer to assure that he says these things?
2. Second, talk to yourself positively all the time. Feed your mind with positive messages that describe your goals and the person you want to be.
What is your personal mission statement? :)